September 16, 2008

The Beginning of a Great Debate

This morning I became quite livid with one of the laws that were made to do during the presentation of the twelve tables. I am not sure who created, but the laws was "homosexuals and pregnant women are to be expelled from school," yet people in gangs are only suspended. Because i would rather go to a school with someone that might shoot me simply because I am wearing the wrong color instead of someone who has a different sexual preference than me. I know that I am not supposed to "attack"  the person you do not agree with, but how can you create something that ignorant when everything is beginning to change for the better. Everyone should be treated equally and believing in the opposite is the epitome of a provincial process of thought.

7 comments:

~Alyssa~ said...

I heard about that! I can barely believe that someone who goes here is so... intolerant. It's crazy.

Carman said...

I know right, but they said that they just made up that law for the sake of argument. Which means that they do not believe in it, but it worked trust me.

matthew travers said...

no comment. >.>

~Alyssa~ said...

They made it up for the sake of argument. I wonder if they thought it would go that far.

Carman said...

I doubt they were trying to bring tears to anyone's eyes, but they did. How could they not know though. I mean homosexuality has always been a controversial subject whether you are straight or gay. So of course some people would see as more than just a debate

Lorita said...

I don't think that some of those laws were very fair either. Expulsion. Wow! What a strong word to use. Expulsion of defenseless people. I don't even know what to say.

Thompson said...

I was able to talk to Joseph about this after school yesterday, and it seems to me that despite the controversy and the tears and the... rawness of the conversation (or maybe because of it), the debate was an overwhelming success- and here's why: it got you talking about things that don't get talked about- at least not normally in a controlled and safe environment- and school should be that place if there isn't another.

I think I can speak for Joseph and several other instructors here when I say that's why we teach- we're not aiming for hurt feelings or tears necessarily, but we want to build an open forum where kids don't- and we don't- make a habit of holding things in until they explode out of us.

And maybe, just maybe, a little bit of that openness can seep out from under our doors and through the porous concrete of our walls and infect the rest of the world like a beautiful warm cancerous blanket.

I'm wary of saying this too often lest it seem less sincere with repetition, but I love y'all.

Wow. So much italics I'm turning Italian.